Besides the distinctively delicious flavor artichokes add to this pasta salad recipe, they are a very nutritious vegetable! Artichokes are low-calorie and nutrient-rich. Artichokes are an excellent source of fiber and vitamin C, and a good source of folate and magnesium. Artichokes are also a natural source of antioxidants which we need for healthy cells. Try this salad; add great flavor to your salad repertoire…while doing something healthy for yourself!
Artichoke Pasta Salad:
1 cup whole grain pasta
1 (6 1/2 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, undrained
1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, quartered
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup pitted black olives, drained
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
1⁄2 tablespoon dried oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil; add pasta and boil until al dente.
- Drain well and rinse with cold water.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pasta, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, parsley, basil, oregano, garlic; toss well.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Before serving, season the pasta dish with salt and pepper to taste.