Are you looking for a deliciously simple way to cook Butternut Squash? This recipe uses a time friendly, one pot method to cook squash and apples to perfection! Seasoned with warm spices like cinnamon, cloves and ginger this recipe is a comfort food and healthy at the same time.
Crockpot Butternut Squash and Apples
2 ½ lbs butternut squash ½ tsp cinnamon
2 ½ lbs Granny Smith apples ¼ tsp salt
½ cup brown sugar 1/8 tsp ginger
1 Tbsp flour 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- Cut squash in half. Remove seeds and fibers from center of squash with a spoon. Cut squash into quarters (for easier peeling); peel squash (a sharp knife will work more easily than a peeler). Cut squash into 1” slices.
- Core apples and cut into 1” pieces.
- In a medium bowl mix sugar, flour, salt and spices.
- Layer one half of the squash in the bottom on a 4-5 quart crockpot. Top with half of the apple slices and half of the spice mixture. Repeat layers. NOTE: Spray crockpot with non-stick cooking spray for easier cleaning later on!
- Cover crockpot and cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2 ½ hours. Enjoy this amazingly healthy dish!
Nutrition Information per serving: 155 calories, 0 grams fat, 40 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams protein, 7 grams fiber, 400% vitamin A, 90% vitamin C