5 Holiday Health Tips
The holidays are rapidly approaching! It’s time to make a plan for staying on track during the season. We asked local dietitians to share their best holiday health tips for making it through the holidays:
- When attending an event, find the smallest plate available and fill it the lowest calorie options such as veggies and hummus, shrimp cocktail, salsa on veggies or baked pita wedges, then move away from the food table to eat and socialize. Another option is to eat a snack before you go to the event! Filling up on high volume, low calorie options ahead of time will keep you from devouring calorie rich party foods.
- Prepare ahead for on-the-go days with quick-grab food items. Fill small containers with your favorite fresh veggie sticks and hummus or low-fat salad dressing on the side; sliced fruits and cheese cubes, or favorite nuts mixed with dried cranberries for a high-protein, festive, on-the-go snack. Keep the containers in your fridge for easy access, to grab and go!
- Drink water. Carry a water bottle as you go. Sometimes your body sends hunger signals to the brain when all it really wants is some water.
- Sleep. For the best, most restful sleep, try to stick to your typical sleep schedule, even on weekends!
- Last but not least, try to look at the holidays as single day events, not as 30-40 days of forgetting the healthy habits you have worked hard to build!