A Simple Dinner Doesn’t Have to Come From a Box!
The dream dinner; ready in 20 minutes, one skillet to wash up and everyone in the family likes it. This may seem impossible, but it is possible and can be healthy, too! While boxed dinners can be delicious and convenient, the problem often lies in the nutritional value; high sodium (salt), dyes, preservatives and added ingredients that make the ingredient list long and challenging to understand unless you’re a food scientist. This recipe for Simple Hamburger Skillet provides the perfect alternative…nutritious ingredients including whole grains, lean protein and low-fat dairy options while still providing a quick, delicious alternative that the family will love! And, still only one skillet to clean up!
Simple Hamburger Skillet
1 pound lean ground beef
½ cup onions, diced
2 cups low-fat milk
1 cup water
2 cups whole grain elbow macaroni, uncooked
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
2 cups lower-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown ground beef and onions in a skillet over medium heat.
- Drain meat & onions.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for the cheese.
- Stir to combine and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Sauce may be thin.
- Let pasta sit to thicken the sauce, meanwhile taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve and enjoy.
Notes: Vegetables such as broccoli, peas or tomatoes can be added for extra nutrition! The spices can also be varied…try adding chili powder or cumin for a Mexican flair, or basil and feta cheese for Mediterranean flavors!