The dream dinner; ready in 20 minutes, one skillet to wash up and everyone in the family likes it. This may seem impossible, but it is possible and can be healthy, too! While boxed dinners can be delicious and convenient, the problem often lies in the nutritional value; high sodium (salt), dyes, preservatives and added ingredients that make the ingredient list long and challenging to understand unless you’re a food scientist. This recipe for Turkey Taco Skillet provides the perfect alternative…nutritious ingredients including easy homemade taco seasoning.
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 Tbsps. Homemade Taco Seasoning
1 10 ounce can mild diced tomatoes with chilis, no salt added
1 15 ounce can black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat in a medium size skillet. Add ground turkey.
- Brown the meat while breaking it up into fine pieces as it cooks with the end of a sturdy spatula.
- Add the diced onion halfway through the browning process.
- Sprinkle in the taco seasoning. Stirring until combined.
- Mix in the tomatoes, beans and corn.
- Heat through and then serve.
- Add diced peppers or zucchini when adding the onion.
- Serve with tortilla shells or on a green salad.
- Top with fresh green onions, pickled red onions, jalapeños, salsa, cilantro, shredded cheese or plain Greek yogurt.
- Try other proteins such as lean ground beef or chicken.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
3 Tbsps. Chili Powder
2 Tbsps. Onion Powder
1 Tbsp. Cumin
1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp. Paprika
1 1/2 Tsps. Ground Black Pepper
- Measure and combine ingredients in a sealable, air-tight container.
- Store in a dark, dry, cool place.
- Use 2 tablespoons of the seasoning mix per pound of meat and/or vegetables to taste.
- Try beef, chicken or turkey.
- There is no salt added to this seasoning. Typical taco seasoning packets contain approximately 2,300 mg of sodium or 100% of the recommended daily limit!