Grilled peaches are very simple. With two ingredients – peaches and olive oil – you can have a quick and easy side dish or dessert ready to go. Your family and guests will be impressed when you serve the grilled peaches with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert!
Health Benefits of Peaches
Peaches are high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Peaches are highest in vitamin C and A. They also contain 2 grams of fiber and less than 1 gram of fat. Beneficial antioxidants, which can help protect your body from aging and disease, are found in peaches.
Choosing Peaches at the Farmers Market or Grocery Store
There are 2 qualities of peaches that can help you tell if a peach is ripe and ready to eat.
- Color. Peaches should be a dark, golden yellow color. The red color in peaches is the color that appears from direct sun exposure and does not tell if a peach is ripe or not.
- Touch. Ripe peaches should give a bit when you give the fruit a gentle but firm squeeze. Don’t squeeze too hard or the fruit will bruise. If the peach is still firm, leave it on your kitchen counter until it’s soft or very soft when you give it a gentle squeeze.
Peaches should be kept on your counter at room temperature until they reach your desired ripeness. Once your peaches have reached your desired ripeness, place the peaches in the refrigerator.
- Prepare grill to a medium heat. If you are using a gas grill, light to medium heat. If you are using a charcoal grill, cook peaches after all your other items for your meal have been grilled
- Cut peaches in half and remove pit. Brush each half with olive oil.
- Place peaches cut side down on the grill. Grill for 4-5 minutes.
- Flip the peaches over and grill 4-5 minutes until peaches are tender.
- Remove peaches from grill.