Sweet potatoes are nutritious, delicious – and easy to grow! Join K-State Research and Extension Fruit & Vegetable Agent, Zac Hoppenstedt, and Health & Food Safety Agent, Crystal Futrell, on Tuesday, March 24th from 6-8:00 pm for From Garden to Plate: Sweet Potatoes. Learn how to grow, harvest and cook sweet potatoes for breakfast, lunch, dinner–and dessert!
The class will be held at the Johnson County K-State Research and Extension office (11811 S. Sunset Drive, Olathe, 66061). Call 913-715-7000 or register online for the course.
Here’s a sweet potato recipe to keep you satisfied & nourished while you wait for class to start! Enjoy this potato salad with a twist: roasted sweet potatoes tossed with cilantro, scallions and a honey lime dressing. Enjoy!
Honey-Lime Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
Cuisine: Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 3 1/2 pounds (~5 large) sweet potatoes, *peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (~ 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon honey (add more to taste, up to 2 teaspoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with aluminum foil. Toss cubed sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil and roast for 30 minutes, shaking the pans and turning the sweet potatoes every so often until they are evenly cooked and lightly crisp. Remove from oven and let cool about 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, lime juice, honey, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the cooled sweet potatoes to a large bowl, add the scallions, and coat with dressing. Add the chopped cilantro and gently toss everything together, taking care not to smash the potatoes in the process. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*If preferred, do not peel the sweet potatoes. You’ll save time plus retain more nutrition & fiber.
*For easier cubing of the sweet potatoes: Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes. Place them on a microwave safe plate and microwave for approximately 3 minutes until slightly softened. Then cut into cubes.