One Skillet Macaroni and Cheese – Simple and Delicious!
As we say good-bye to summer and hello to back-to-school schedules, the family meal time routine may be changing, too. To help ease into this schedule try this family-friendly, delicious and kid approved recipe for Skillet Macaroni and Cheese. This one skillet meal, requires no oven time and even provides a healthier option than typical macaroni and cheese.
Skillet Macaroni and Cheese
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 (13.25 ounce) package whole-wheat shell or elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 cup diced onion (about 1 medium onion)
½ teaspoon pepper
½ tsp. garlic powder
4 cups water
3 tablespoons flour
1 ½ cup low-fat milk
3 cups reduced-fat shredded Colby Jack cheese
2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, or other vegetables if desired
Optional: Can add broccoli, peas or other vegetables as desired.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add dry macaroni, chopped onion, and pepper; cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add water, turn up heat and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until macaroni is cooked. (if adding vegetables, add for the last couple of minutes during this step to heat through)
- Whisk together the flour and milk together in a small bowl. Pour over the cooked macaroni, and stir well.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted and well mixed, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.