If you’re looking for a delicious and nutritious addition to your diet, sweet potatoes might be the answer. Packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber, these vibrant root vegetables offer many health benefits.
- High in Fiber: Sweet potatoes, with their significant fiber content, contribute to a healthy digestive system. Diets high in fiber have also been shown to reduce the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes.
- Rich in Antioxidants: Sweet potatoes are loaded with antioxidants, especially beta-carotene. This compound is converted into vitamin A in the body, promoting healthy skin, vision, and a robust immune system.
- Supports Heart Health: Potassium in sweet potatoes plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy blood pressure and reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Shopping & Storage Tips
When buying sweet potatoes, opt for firm, smooth-skinned varieties with vibrant colors, avoiding any signs of decay or soft spots. Sweet potatoes also come in not just orange but white and purple varieties, too.
Store sweet potatoes in a cool, dark place with good ventilation to prevent sprouting or mold. Do not keep your sweet potatoes near other vegetables because they can cause other foods to ripen more easily. Stored on the counter, raw sweet potatoes generally last up to two weeks.
Incorporating sweet potatoes into your diet can be a tasty way to reap these health benefits. Whether baked, mashed, roasted, or added to soups and stews, the versatility of sweet potatoes makes them a nutritious and flavorful choice for any meal. Try our recipe for Roasted Sweet Potato Slices.
Roasted Sweet Potato Slices
Sweet, spicy and savory sweet potato slices. Oven roasted, caramelized and delicious. Even those who don’t think they like sweet potatoes, will love this recipe!
- 2 sweet potatoes, unpeeled washed, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450 °F. Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Combine butter and oil over low heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat; add honey and spices and stir well to combine.
- Thinly slice sweet potatoes and place on parchment.
- Lightly brush each slice with mixture. Bake for 12 minutes and turn each slice. Lightly brush with mixture again. Continue baking another 12-15 minutes or until slices begin to brown on edges and top.
- If you bake with two sheets at the same time, be sure to rotate pans for even baking. Do not use the lowest rack in your oven.